- 11th Trondheim International Chamber Music Competition is open to string quartets.
- Applications will be accepted from musicians of all nationalities provided the combined maximum age of the quartet members as of 21st September 2021 does not exceed 120 years. The age limit for each musician of the quartet must be under 35 and over 16 years on 21st September 2021.
- Musicians may only enter the competition as a member of one ensemble.
- Musicians are responsible for all travel expenses. The competition will offer lodging in 2-bed room, as well as breakfast and one hot meal a day.
- The application must be sent no later than the day of the deadline; 20 April 2021.
- The following documents must be attached the application:
a. A copy of birth certificate or similar official document confirming the date and place of birth of each candidate.
b. Curriculum vitae with particulars of training, awards and diplomas and recent concert appearances of the quartet.
c. Two recent professional references.
d. Two recent digital high-resolution photographs of the quartet.
e. Two recent audio recordings of high quality (WAV, AIFF, FLAC or M4a (Alac), minimum Bitrate 164kbps), of the quartet. The recording should be recorded in one “take” and must not be edited or altered in any way. TICC reserves the right to disqualify applicants entering studio enhanced or modified tapes. Applicants are anonymous to the jury when considered for TICC.
f. Recording one: Choose one movement from this list: 1st movement from Mozart K387, K421, K458, K428, K464, K465, K499, K575, K589 or K590.
g. Recording two: One movement of any Bartók, Berg, Britten, Debussy, Janácek, Ravel or Shostakovich quartet.
h. A letter from a teacher or professional musician certifying the authenticity of the recording.
- There will be a non-refundable entry fee of EUR 160 per quartet which should not be sent until the application has been accepted.
- The competition is divided into three stages – two eliminating stages and a final stage. All stages will be open to the public.
- Each quartet will be required to prepare six works, as indicated in the repertoire list.
- Depending on the number of ensembles, the duration of the first round might be cut to thirty minutes per ensemble. The jury will announce their selected program 24 hours in advance.
- The order of playing will be decided by ballot. A new ballot will be held for each new stage of the competition.
- Trondheim International Chamber Music Competition is entitled to broadcast the concerts, in any medium, in whole or in part, live or by recording, in sound and/or in images. No payment will be made to contestants for the recording or broadcasting of competition performances.
- Rehearsal facilities, including the provision of music stands, will be available to all ensembles in Trondheim accepted to the Competition. TICC does not warrant, however, that such facilities will be adequate or meet the requirements of ensembles.
- The competition reserves the right not to award 1st prize if the jury cannot find a candidate.
- Winners of the 1st Prize and the Audience Prize must agree to perform a certain number of concerts in 2022, arranged for them by Trondheim Chamber Music Competition and Trondheim Chamber Music Festival.
- The official language of TICC is English.
COMPETITION REPERTOIRE 2021
1) Choose one of the following quartets:
Mozart: K387, K421, K428, K458, K464, K465, K499, K575, K589, K590
Haydn: Op 9 no 4, Op 20, Op 33, Op 50, Op 54, Op. 55, Op. 64, Op. 71, Op. 74, Op 76, Op 77
Beethoven: Op. 18 No 1 – 6.
and2) Choose one quartet by one of the following composers:
Bartók, Berg, Britten, Debussy, Janácek, Prokofiev, Ravel, Shostakovich
Stage II, two works:
3) Compulsory work:
TBA: Commissioned quartet
New work of about 10 minutes commissioned specially by the competition from a Norwegian composer. Arrangements will be made for all contestants to receive a score and parts for this work approximately two months in advance of the competition.
4) Choose one of the following quartets:
Brahms: all quartets
Tchaikovsky: Op 11
Finale, two works:
5) Wolf: Italian Serenade
6) Choose one of the following quartets:
Schubert: D804 (a- Minor, Op. 29/1), D810 (d-Minor), D887 (G- Major, Op. 161).
Beethoven: All except Op. 18.
Dvorak: Op 105 or Op 106
Each ensemble must prepare six works.